We live in digital and complex times. As we try to figure out how to keep working and collaborating, evolving cyber security threats are looking for new ways to exploit our technological and human vulnerabilities.
In this content, we will guide you in protecting your network and data, improving e-mail protection controls, extending the safe environment to where your staff works and protecting their devices at the same time. Finally, we’ll discuss how to prepare your staff to detect threats and respond appropriately in a timely manner.
Assist Marine is a leading company with marine electronics, communication systems and maritime cyber security services. As your communications service provider, Assist Marine takes responsibility to assist and guide you in implementing security policies to protect your assets and property against danger and leakage through computer networks.
Keep Your Systems Updated
Software updates fix cyber security vulnerabilities. By applying them to all your devices as soon as possible – their workstations, their networks, and your IOTs – you prevent malicious people from using them.
- Check if your devices are still supported and if the manufacturer will provide software updates in the future. If possible, enable automatic updates.
- Check regularly for firmware and software revisions for devices that automatic updates are not possible.
- Scan your systems regularly for cyber security vulnerabilities.
Prioritize mitigation of all vulnerabilities regardless of the IT domain to which they belong (production or development infrastructure, network, endpoints, etc.).
Your Password is Very Important for Cyber Security
- Keep your password secret
- Do not share service accounts with end users and customers
- Do not write down confidential passwords and login information unless it’s necessary
- If a password is written on paper, make sure you store that paper well, then shred it after use.
If a restricted password is shared, please report the incident to the Assist Marine team.
Your Confidential Information Should Stay Safe
You will have access to confidential information. Examples are setup procedures, default passwords, service accounts, etc. This information must be protected at all times. Do not share information with third parties without consulting Assist Marine family about cyber security. If you are going to use printed copies, always have them with you. Store in a protected area and disassemble after use.
Be Careful Against Viruses and Malware
- Use an anti-virus program on your computers and phone.
- Keep your phone and computers always up to date.
- Do not download software from unknown sources. If you have an infected computer, all your information could be stolen.
What Can You Do To Protect From Hackers And Fake Identity Users?
- Beware of fraudulent emails and websites you don’t trust.
- Do not click on suspicious links.
- Do not enter sites that you do not trust and do not give your information.
- Never provide information online that you would not share in real life. Pay attention to “social engineering” techniques. For example, fraudulent techniques, such as a fake computer support that calls you to solve a problem with your account and asks for your password, can be dangerous for cyber security.
Cloud Services May Share Your Information With Third Parties
- For example Dropbox, Gmail, Hotmail, iCloud, Google Translate etc. Some of the license agreements state that service providers provide access to information when using it.
- When you need to use a cloud service for confidential information, always protect it. You can apply to cyber security services for this.
It May Be Helpful To Organize Cyber Security Training For Your Employees
- People are the weakest element in this regard. Their behavior can determine whether cyber security measures will be successful. Therefore, you may need to train them regularly to detect threats and respond to them adequately and quickly.
- Cyber security training should cover scenarios such as phishing attacks via email, social media, phone calls and text messages. It should also shed light on the safe use of a mobile device, data encryption and protection, social engineering and secure passwords. However, training needs to be organized and actionable.
- Like all content intended to be successful, cyber security awareness training should be engaging and easy to digest. You can hang what needs to be done on the walls in the working environment.
- Do not punish those who make mistakes. Instead, turn the event into a learning experience and encourage them along the way.
- Make success stories a part of internal interviews.
- Regular training will increase your potential for success.
Does your ship need help? You can contact us.